Beaver County, PA

Southwestern Pennsylvania

Familiarization Tour

1. Hopewell Business Park

2. Aliquippa

3. Aliquippa Industrial Park

4. Ambridge

5. Conway/Freedom

6. Monaca/Rochester  

7. Beaver/Bridgewater 

8. Bridgewater/Fallston

9. Turnpike Distribution Center

10. Westgate Business Park

11. Beaver Falls & B-HIVE

12. New Brighton

13. Center Township 

14. Industry/Midland  

15. Shippingport 

Beaver County Corporation for
Economic Development

250 Insurance Street, Suite 300
Beaver, PA 15009

Hopewell Business Park

The park was vacant farmland acquired in 1987 by CED that included 80 acres. Additionally, CED acquired another 50 acres in 1999. CED sold 67 acres in 2016 to Pat Gallagher & Chuck Betters. Located on Route 151 in Hopewell Township, Hopewell business park was designed to attract light manufacturing, distribution, corporate offices, and research & development. Some companies located in the park include Selectrode Industries, PGT Trucking, Moderne Glass, Fed-EX, and Mayflower Moving Company. Hopewell Township surrounds Aliquippa and is the largest municipality in Beaver County by population.


Aliquippa was created from a merger in 1878 of 3 communities – Woodlawn, Aliquippa, and New Sheffield which was largely farmland.  In the early 1900s, Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation built a steel mill in Aliquippa which caused the area to prosper and populate with countless ethnic groups that were arriving to work at the mill.  The area grew and was influenced in almost every way by J&L Steel through the Great Depression and WWII. Specifically, Franklin Ave. became a prime location for businesses and local consumers to congregate. Following the collapse of steel, the City entered the PA Municipalities Financial Recovery Act (Act 47) in 1987 and will be exiting the program in December 2023, one of the longest of municipalities under Act 47 in the State.

Aliquippa Industrial Park

CED acquired a total of 152 acres and invested over $14 M for environmental cleanup, utilities, and infrastructure to create the Park.  Developer Chuck Betters purchased the remaining land (350 AC) that resulted in Beaver Valley Aggegates, a precious metals reclaiming operation, Beaver County Jail, Lincoln Park Performing Arts Set Design, and several repurposed buildings housing many businesses and offices.  Mr. Betters, with assistance from RACP, constructed a 1,000 foot dock.  The site was leased to Shell as a laydown area which required a 250K SF warehouse and a total of 168 AC. Former Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation site was the world’s largest fully integrated steel producer in the world at its peak that employed over 14,000 people and stretched 7 miles along the Ohio River.  Presently, the site houses many industrial companies including Shasta, Metalwerks PMD, Versatex,  USEM, USG, Middleton Warehousing Services, Cronimet, and future expansions including potentially 72 Steel (a Chinese-American steel producer of rebar who announced recently). 


Ambridge Borough, named after American Bridge Company, was another company town that was home to additional steel manufacturers and also divided into ethnic neighborhoods. Other steel and iron companies included ARMCO and A. M Buyer. While none of the companies exist in Ambridge today, the steel can be found in bridges throughout the world. The Borough was designated as a “Preserve America Community” by the Federal government. The town is adjacent to Harmony Township which includes “Legionville” which was a training camp for “Mad” Anthony Wayne’s Legion of the U.S.  Reportedly, General George Washington spent a night at the camp.

Conway Yards/Freedom

Conway Yard (terminal) was the largest freight yard in the world from 1956 – 1980.  It was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad for $35 M and became the largest and most advanced automatic freight classification yard.  It is currently owned by Norfolk Southern and is still one of the largest yards in the United States. 

Freedom Borough was founded as a steamboat building town and later was known for production of oil and caskets. The Borough got its name from signs placed along the Ohio River by the Harmonists who were abolitionists containing one word, “FREEDOM”.  The community flourished until a PA DOT project acquired half of the downtown to make way for now PA Route 65.  The Vicary Mansion, home to Captain William Vicary, remains and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Freedom celebrates annually “Vicary Days” with open tours of the Mansion.


Today the borough of Rochester is home to a variety of local businesses that includes manufacturing, warehousing, retail, and healthcare. A public library, churches, and other institutions provide a supportive social network.  The beautiful Rochester Riverfront Park rests at the confluence of the Beaver and Ohio River featuring walkable paths, pavilions, river activities, and the patriotic Flag Plaza. The community is home to a diverse mix of longtime residents and newcomers.

Monaca Borough was originally incorporated as Phillipsburg, home to the New Philadelphia Society; furthermore, it eventually became Monaca in honor of Native American Indian Monacatootha. Monaca became the home of glass production that began with Phoenix Glass, and presently, Stoelzle Glass, Allegheny Technolgies Inc. (ATI), NF & M, RomeMet, LLC, and MetCon, LLC are all located in the Borough


Beaver Borough was home to several Native American tribes including Shawnee, Mingo, and Lenape and was also part of the French and Indian War.  Later, Fort McIntosh was built during the Revolutionary War overlooking the Ohio River. The Borough was laid out in 1792 and was established as the County seat in 1800.  The Borough has a sizable Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is also designated as a Tree City USA community.  Former Mayor Robert Lynn (deceased) served as Mayor for 58 years from 1946 to 2004, one of the longest serving mayors in the United States.

Bridgewater is located at the confluence of the Beaver and Ohio Rivers and has had a strong native America presence throughout history. Bridgewater experienced tremendous growth in the 1830s during the construction of the Beaver Extension of the Erie Canal, which provided a link between the Ohio River and the Erie Canal, effectively opening water traffic from the Great Lakes all the way down to New Orleans. During this time, the town experienced an economic boom and was home to various warehousing facilities, supply companies, and boat building and repair services. Throughout its history, Bridgewater has been ravaged time and time again by severe flooding, but it is resilient and continues to thrive as a popular destination for shopping, dining, and river recreation. Bridgewater also has a Registered Historic District. 

In 1999, BCCED acquired 12 acres of a former barge repair site on the Ohio River.  BCCED invested over $3.75 M for acquisition and development of the site including a riverfront park. Two parcels were sold to C.J. Betters Real Estate who developed three high-rise housing units, garages, and a public recreational facility.

Turnpike Distribution Center

The Center is a public-private funded 410,550 SF multi-tenant commercial facility built by local developer Pat Nardelli and AI Neyer. The facility is a Class A large scale warehouse space with docking and loading features at the intersection of PA Turnpike and I-376.

Westgate Business Park

The Westgate Business Park is a 223-acre brownfield redevelopment (150 AC wetlands) project situated approximately 2 miles north of the City of Beaver Falls in the Borough of Big Beaver and is being developed by CED. In 2004, CED received environmental clearance under Act 2 as a Special Industrial Area. CED, with the help of State grants, developed the Park’s infrastructure to create the Business Park.  To date, the occupants of the Park include Crossgates (Adams Place), Triumph Modular, R & R, and a warehouse distribution facility. Three proposed parcels remain for development that range from 7 acres to 35 acres. 

Beaver Falls & The B-HIVE

Beaver Falls was originally formed as “Brighton” after Brighton, England, which was the hometown of surveyors who developed the land in the area of the “middle falls” which included present day New Brighton. The land was eventually sold to the Harmony Society in 1859.  The Harmonists laid out a town, paved streets with brick, and changed the name to Beaver Falls. It became a Borough in 1868.  Beaver Falls was home to Chinatown when 225 Chinese residents were brought to work at Beaver Falls Cutlery Company. Beaver Falls became a Third Class City, and in 2022, became a Home Rule community.

CED partnered with the Beaver (Valley) Hub for Innovation, Venture, and Entrepreneurship along with Penn State Beaver, Geneva College, and the Community College of Beaver County (CCBC) to create a co-working space and Launchbox.  The B-HIVE will be a facility that will foster and encourage small businesses and entrepreneurs to grow and provide maker space for prototypes and small batch products.  CED received funding from RACP and LSA grants for the renovation of the building.  The project is underway and is anticipated to be operational in September 2023.

New Brighton


New Brighton Borough was incorporated in 1838 and was named after Brighton, England which separated itself from Beaver Falls.  The Pennsylvania Canal opened in 1834 which kicked off robust industrial growth.  Manufacturing included flour mills, carriage works, foundries, lumber, paper mills, pottery works, brick yards, and quarry & glass companies.  A horseshoe-nail factory begun in 1872 and is still in operation today as Standard Horse Nail Company (aka Stanho) which specializes in machine keys, taper pins, and cotter pins.  It is the longest continuous business in Beaver County.  Once the railroad replaced the canal, the Borough became a terminal of the PA and OH Railroad.  It is believed that the first metal railroad cars were made in New Brighton by Merrick Hanna & Co.  In addition, New Brighton was a major connection in the Underground Railroad.  Eight sites have been identified.


Center Township

Center Twp. is the second largest municipality in Beaver County. It is home to Penn State Beaver, CCBC, the Beaver Valley Mall, Walmart Plaza, and Wagner Road retail development. The main artery through the Township was named Brodhead Road after General Brodhead, commander of Ft. McIntosh. The road was an old Indian path used to transport supplies from Pittsburgh.  The Township was a part of Moon Twp. until 1914 when the more rural portion became Center Twp. It was largely farmlands but recent growth has been housing developments.



Industry Borough began as a township until it was incorporated in 1960 as a borough.  The town was named to promote its industry.  The Montgomery Locks and Dam on the Ohio River and the school district of Western Beaver are located in the Borough. The Willows Hotel and Event Center was recreated from the original Willows Motel and Restaurant. The Event Center expanded the facility and is one of the largest event centers in the region.

Midland Borough was founded in 1906 and is also a company town created by Midland Steel Company which sold the operations to Crucible Steel Company in 1911.  Now that steel manufacturing is not at the epicenter, current manufacturers include WHEMCO, Mawson Infrastructure Group, Filter Fab, and Valmont Galvanizing.  The Midland School District offers public education from Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade, but the high school closed in 1985 due to a lack of students in grades 7 through 12. After attempts to merge with local districts did not fully work out, the disruption in public education lead to the creation of the first cyber school.  PACyber School that was founded in 2000 is one of the largest and most successful in the nation. The school serves K -12 and has support offices throughout PA.  Spin off charter schools were also established in Midland including Lincoln Park Performing Arts Charter School and Midland Innovation and Technology Charter School.



Shippingport Borough, with a population of 159, is home to the site of the first U.S. commercial nuclear power plant. The original Shippingport Atomic Power Station began operations in 1957 and was decommissioned in 1982.  Beaver Valley Nuclear Power Station Units 1 and 2 have been in operation since 1976 and 1987 respectively.  The site of Bruce Mansfield Power Plant was previously operated by FirstEnergy from 1976 to 2019.  The plant also drew the interest of National Gypsum who constructed a nearby plant in 1998 to process synthetic gypsum for the production of drywall.  Energy Harbor Corp. became the real estate entity of the Bruce Mansfield plant site of over 660 acres.  The site was recently sold to the Frontier Group of Companies, a Buffalo-based real estate and redevelopment company.


Beaver County Websites